Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Deseas Papas Fritas Con Eso?

Those who call themselves "real travelers" all do it: pass judgement on those who, for whatever reason, opt for McDonald's on vacation. It's like the cardinal wrong. You would be better received back home after your trip by some people I know if you told them that you'd eaten some endangered species on vacation than eaten in a McDonald's.


Well in your face, Lonely Planet thumping bastards.


It turns out, in fact, that the very FIRST thing you should do is go to a McDonald's. It's like going to a grocery store on vacation (which, incidentally, I love to do. Best insight into the day-to-day of a culture isn't its museums but its grocery stores. And for those that care, I just had a personal epiphany as to why I'm in advertising. And not archaeology. Which was clearly my first choice.)


These are from an article on the cultural idiosyncracies of the McDonald's McEmpire. And some of them are effin McFascinating. For example:



In Japan, you can partake in a Koroke Burger (mashed potato, cabbage and katsu sauce)



Canada's McLobster gets my personal "get that the hell away from me" award. I saw them advertised on my roadtrip around Nova Scotia. They looked unappealing then, and that hasn't changed. If you've tried one and liked it, use my comments section to defend yourself.



In Hong Kong, you can buy a Rice Burger, where the burgers are in between, not burger buns, but two patties of glutinous rice.

And finally - in Uruguay, you can order a hamburger topped with a fried egg. Ok, not so cool.
But it's called the McHuevo! SO Cool. SO my 'shout it off a cliff in Uruguay' word!

Here's a link to the full list. Read it, get back to me. In the meantime I'll be giggling at McHuevo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the McAloo Tikki, obviously what I would have to have.. just so I could order it!!!!

Leicentious said...

Would you also order a McHuevo with me?

Of course you would.

We would be McHuevii together!

udonotknowme1 said...

We have egg-wrapped roadside burgers in Malaysia. After reading this post I'm actually surprised that McDonald's isn't selling it.

Leicentious said...

My advice:
Get on that!
You have a right to McEgg-wrapped roadside burgers!

Anonymous said...

Of course... you know I would...

McHuevo!!!!!