Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Just - wow..

So Kate Moss is launching her own line of fashionable girl-about-town togs.
And yes, it promises to be big.
And that's what a fashion-forward model should do - own that territory. Fine, good, fun.

But then I find this associated quote from Peter Saville, who's helping to formulate the identity for said Kate Moss line. And I gape - because honestly, this is some really incredible language to be throwing around.
“Kate is in an exceptional territory of her own,” explains Saville. “She is an icon to everyone, in that young women can relate to her and aspire to be her. She’s an accessible icon, and similarly she’s not intimidating. She’s synonymous with possibility for young women – she’s not impossibly beautiful, or alluring, or mannered. It’s that that’s made her such an astonishing role model for her times. Plus Kate has never denied or denounced her roots; she hasn’t moved on to another world. All this has endeared Kate to a generation. She’s a brand. And this next stage for her is the inevitable product realisation of that brand.”
Now don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to Kate Moss per se - nor the modelling world at large. I'm obsessed with shoes, and I love pretty clothes, and hell - I work in advertising. But when you're discussing 'astonishing role model'...well. Am I missing something here? Are there Kate Moss stories of courage and international activism that I haven't heard yet?
Has our sensibility of role model become so twisted with celebrity and iconicism that they're now indistinguishable?


Additionally curious is the observation that "she's a brand". The notion of a brand as an "astonishing role model" for our times is captivating. What sort of brand could that be (aside from the obvious Kate Moss response).

I put it to you, British tabloids. What do you think?


No comments: