Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Craigslist Serial




I may have mentioned before that I have a weakness for the craigslist missed connections. No, it's not because I expect to see myself in there (jerks), but because on a sociological basis, it is remarkable to see how describe each other in passing. And really, what details are noticed.

More often than not, you get something like :
"You: Girl in Green shirt with face. Me: Tall guy in pants. Coffee?"

But occasionally there is something undeniably delightful in the describing. A resurrection of the cinematic 'love at first sight' moments from 1950sHollywood. A defiance of what sometimes feels like modern disregard for the romantic grand gesture.

My favourites are when people play peekaboo with their lives - which brings me to this week's Toronto Missed Connections serial girl. I can't quite get a handle on her: she's in love, she's furious, she's humorous. Is she dating this man? Is it illicit?
Read it for yourself. I welcome your thoughts on the matter.
Welcome to my voyeuristic depravity.

1 comment:

Paul Crowe said...

This is incredibly interesting. I am hooked. I need to meet this couple. Thank you.